Monday, January 09, 2006

The Spector of 9/11 reaches far and wide forever...

It has seeped into every crevice of my life. It resides in every thing I do and everyone I see. My perception is permanently altered. It jumps out at me when I least expect it. I had no idea what I was in for last night.

It was family day yesterday as are all Sundays around here. We decided that the 6 year old would make dinner and then we would pick the movie. The Sound of Music. We encouraged the littler ones to dance and sing and celebrate the beauty which lies inside every Rogers and Hammerstein song. It's a delightful show and my babies loved it. My teenagers endured it. I was blindsided. Imagine the room when mother bursts out crying during the concert scene when Christoper Plummer sings Edelweise. His portrayal of "love of country" and the desperation in his eyes knowing that everything about his country was going to change. The loss of innocence in the hearts and minds of the good people of Austria. How is such a deep and haunting moment in a movie lost on me for all those years?

My daughter asked me why I cried. "They all made it over the mountains and they were safe mommy!". I hugged her and told her mommy cries at the silliest stuff and we sang one more round of My Favorite Things as we headed off for bed. But in my heart I wondered if my children, indeed the world's children would ever find a way over the mountains where they will be safe.

Edelweiss, Edelweiss,
Every morning you greet me,
Small and White,
Clean and bright
You look happy to meet me..

Blossoms of snow may you bloom and grow,
Bloom and grow forever

Edelweiss Edelweiss
Bless my home land forever
Upload Your Own Video and Images - Putfile

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape