Monday, September 18, 2006

"Symbolism in Poetry and Personal Translation" or....

"do you wanna play a game"? Perhaps game is too strong a word and will cause people like B.A. to run and hide. What I want you to do is read this poem. Then answer these following questions:

1) If "the woods" is a symbol for something in your life you *want* to do, *what is it?

a. this week it would be...
b. this year it will be...
c. your life it is...

2) If "promises to keep, and miles to go" are symbols for something in your life that is keeping you back from "the woods". What is it/are they?

*if you find them too personal, answer anonymously here otherwise....i look forward to reading your blogs...you.know.who.you.are. If you choose to accept this challenge please feel free to post a link in the comment area here back to your blog/answers. btw, I don't expect everyone to soul search...for instance "anything but laundry" would most likely be 2 out of 3 of my answers here...good luck and have fun! Perhaps it would be fun for you to find a poem you find similarly facinating as I do this one and challenge others yet again???


Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village, though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.


My little horse must think it's queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.


He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there's some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep

Robert Frost
Upload Your Own Video and Images - Putfile

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape