Saturday, September 09, 2006

I See an Old Chair and I Want to Paint it Black



So I did. Actually I am in process of putting a second coat on it. This used to me my grandmothers rocking chair. She used it to rock all her grandbabies in it. Everyone I tell this to says "Ooooh its it Shaker or blah blah, or solid Oak?" I shake my head and tell them its solid Sears and roebuck. Thats why I laugh hysterically at anyone suggesting that I strip it and sand it and varnish it natural. I am not sure there is a "natural" under there.

When my grandmother died I got the chair and it was factory painted in a blah brown with gold trim. During my arts and crafty era (moment) I decided to put on of the faux crackle finishes on it. In white/beige. It turned out like most of my craft attempts. Unsatisfying. My muse left me soon after that probably thinking it was a lost cause.

With all the changes going on in my life at the moment and the fact that I no long have babies of my own to rock in this chair I began thinking of it in a new way. Decided I wanted something that said "This is my chair now". After several suggestions from friends who know color way better than me I decided to go with black. I am letting the crackle finish show through a little bit and I am really digging the way it is turning out. When I move into my place my black chair will come with me as a symbol of changes throughout ones life I think.

Just wait though. I am also refinishing a 5 drawer dresser for my 4 year old. The same friend who suggested black for my rocker suggested white for the dresser. Won't she be shocked when she sees the light lime green I have chosen instead... eeek! I'm sure my muse is packing her bags right now.
Upload Your Own Video and Images - Putfile

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape