Tuesday, March 07, 2006

The Lives and Deaths of Celebrities

Well, its happened again. I woke up this morning with the news of Dana Reeve's death from lung cancer. Rest in Peace Mrs. Reeve.

I felt an odd sting rise up and tears briefly showed themselves. Odd because I didn't really know her yet I feel the loss. In this age of media saturation we all feel as if we know people that many years ago we would have never known existed. The world is a much smaller place now. With the internet and the wealth of information we have at our fingertips I suppose it is to be expected. Being human we yearn for connection to others. And I suppose in some cases we use it to distract ourselves from the emotions or the situations in front of us. Much like getting involved in a good book and crying for the heroine's lost love or her beautiful/horrible death.

The lives and deaths of several well known personalities have affected me deeply. John Ritter, David Bloom , Ronald Reagan... also Ellen DeGeneres, who at last check is alive and kicking, I am sure she will be relieved to know this.

Dana Reeve: she spent a very long time lovingly caring for her disabled spouse. I felt she deserved some quiet time from such activities once Christoper died. It stung my sense of "fair" when she was diagnosed with cancer. And lung cancer is something which I have had experience with. I cringed when I heard the diagnosis. Having lost my mother to this very thing I remember far too well what it looks like. When I heard the news this morning I remembered far too well what it feels like to lose someone to it. And pray that another loved one in the family will beat this bitch of a disease so that my children will never have to know what I know. What the Reeve's family knows this morning.

John Ritter: I was stunned. I felt like I lost a big brother. At the very least a big red dog.

David Bloom: I actually cried out loud that morning. Men and women were dying left and right and I cried over an anchorman dying in his sleep in the deserts of Iraq. I vacillated between despair and guilt for tears I felt were a bit gratuitous. I loved looking at his face. He had a nice face. Loving, happy and warm. The kind everyone deserves to have in their lives.

Ronald Reagan: I came into politics voting for this man. I didn't know much about politics, I was only 18 and more concerned about if my butt looked too big in my new jeans. But there was something about him that made me feel connected. That my life was bigger, greater than just my butt. I believe to this day that he was a great man. Throughout the years I often thought about Nancy and prayed that she could be strong. I prayed that he wouldn't suffer. When he died. I cried for a week. I cried for the years they had lost together while still being together. I cried because I felt the world was a bit less without this man. And I cried as Nancy kissed his casket. Sweet, raw, real. I turned away at that point. I felt I was intruding in a private matter between a woman and her partner.

favorite quotes:

"Let us resolve tonight that young Americans will always ... find there a city of hope in a country that is free.... And let us resolve they will say of our day and our generation, we did keep the faith with our God, that we did act worthy of ourselves, that we did protect and pass on lovingly that shining city on a hill." — Election Eve speech, Nov. 3, 1980

"I hope you're all Republicans." -March 30, 1981 (to surgeons as he entered the operating room following his assassination attempt)

God now that is funny...which is a perfect seque to the last person on my list...

Ellen DeGeneres: Who again... IS NOT DEAD.
We as a nation were torn into little pieces. We were all milling about afraid for the future, afraid there was no future. Unsure if and how to get up and get on with things. She walked out onto that stage that night and I burst out laughing... for a minute I was a bit shocked at myself, should I really be laughing? Her answer was a resounding YES! Thank you Ellen Degeneres you helped me find my humor again. This one picture says it all....
Image hosting by Photobucket

So for what it's worth, these people feel like my extended family. They hold value in my heart. Weird? Maybe. They all made/make me feel things that are important to me. I mourn the losses and celebrate living (ie Ellen who again...is.still.not.dead) My world is a softer place for "knowing" and loving these people.

Rest in Peace dear ones.
Ellen, you're still here so please make me laugh...
Upload Your Own Video and Images - Putfile

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape